Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Why Couldn't Wrenkh be Around the Corner Instead of in Vienna?

Wrenkh
Bauernmarkt 10
01.533.1526
www.wrenkh.atThe first time I was in Vienna, I felt as though I'd stepped inside a giant sausage and there was no way out. With sausage or
Wurselstands on every street and corner of the city, there's no escaping the smell of sausage.

It was a great surprise then to discover that not only is vegetarian food readily available in Vienna, but that there are some pretty good choices. And
Wrenkh has to be the best. This is the type of comfortable, attractive cafe that I'd eat at weekly if it was in my neighborhood. The furnishings are light and contemporary, the diners are interesting, the staff is friendly, and the food is terrific. I went back twice for the goat cheese and tomato confit over quinoa. It was simply perfect, with flavors perfectly balanced. The pumpkin tortellini with honey apple was tasty as well. Wrenkh generally offers about six vegetarian entrees at about 10 to 14 euros per.
Other vegetarian eats in Vienna: The Hotel Bristol even has a small vegetarian section on the menu, and the vegetarian
lasagne isn't half bad.